Thursday, September 26, 2024

Amboy Crater

 During the hottest summer on record, and one of the hottest days of the year, I'm hiking at one of the hottest places in the US. Crazy, right?? The area around the small town of Amboy is significantly hotter than the Joshua Tree area where I usually like, and I'm not taking any unnecessary chances. I'm using the buddy system, hiking with my friend Mitch. We have lots of water, ice, cooling towels, appropriate clothing, and all the other safety gear recommended. We have two sun umbrellas to keep our bodies shaded as we hike. In the back of my mind, I'm recalling that it was this same month (August) back in 2017 when two hikers from Yorba Linda died from dehydration at this exact spot. On that day, it was 113°F, and their bodies were found only about one mile from their car. The husband and wife team had become separated and were unable to find each other (early signs of dehydration can include confusion). Their bodies were found just 100 yards from each other. Their water bottles were empty.
As we pull into the Amboy Crater parking lot at about 4:30 in the afternoon, Mitch's car thermometer registers 114°F. Not surprisingly, the parking lot is completely empty.
 
On the drive to Amboy from 29 Palms, you go over the Sheephole Pass. For some odd reason, knuckleheads can't resist painting these boulders at the top of the pass. Taylor Swift is a new addition. The view from the pass of wide open desert is impressive.
 
Amboy is mostly famous for Roy's Motel. It's a semi-ghost town, with just a couple employees to run the gas station, which also sells cold drinks and souvenirs. One of the employees told me they probably get close to 50% of their summer visitors from Europe! That's likely due to the fact that locals know it's way too hot to be in Amboy in the summer. The motel isn't open, but is a cool remnant from the 1950's when people would "motor west" on Route 66! I took this photo in October of 2022. As I exited Roy's and headed west on Route 66, I noticed the moon was rising over the Roy's sign. Of course, that required another stop for a quick photo!
For more info. on Roy's, click here.
 
Old postcard of Amboy when the town was thriving. Date of photo unknown.
 
Leaving Roy's, Amboy Crater is just a short distance west on Route 66. You can't miss it! It's formed of ash and cinders, is 250' high and 1,500' in diameter. It is situated in one of the youngest volcanic fields in the US. I'm wondering if that means it could blow it's stack at any moment!?
 

Amboy Crater trail marked with lava rock.
 
Looking NE (away from the crater), with light filtering through the clouds and even some rain on the horizon. If you enlarge this photo, you can see a train, the town of Amboy, and Route 66 disappearing off into the distance. It was still well into the triple digits at 5:40PM when I took this photo, and I was feeling really hot. I had put some ice water in a plastic bag at the beginning of the hike and decided now would be a good time to soak my cooling towel in the nice cold water and cover my head. When I reached into the bag, the water felt like it was about 100°!! Dang, no cooling towel for me!
 
6:38PM: Golden light and increasing clouds to the NE.
 
The semi-ghost town of Amboy, CA, can be seen in the distance.
 
This is about as close as we got to the crater. The trail continues on and eventually takes you to the top of the cone, but it was much too hot to attempt it on this day.
 
 
 
7:06PM: Clouds appear to be erupting out of the crater!
 
So you may be wondering: Why would we choose to hike to Amboy Crater on such a ridiculously hot day, risking life and limb?? Well, blame it on (or give credit to) Mitch. He came up with the creative idea of trying to take a photo of the Milky Way over Amboy Crater, positioning it so it would appear the stars are spewing out of the volcano. Cool idea, but one problem: The MW is only in the correct position during the crazy-hot days of late summer. It was almost as if we had no choice. We had to try it!
 
I look forward to sharing what I captured with you on my next post.
Thanks for stopping by!!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

11 comments:

  1. Well it was worth the effort for all the stunning photos you took

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are stunning photos :-D I wonder if Taylor Swift will be popular 50 years from now like stuff from the 50s and 60s are still popular today?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor Swift I am sure is not happy that the knuckleheads put her name on those rocks.

    Great photos and you and your friend are true intrepid explorers and photographers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand the craziness, as even the clouds 'erupting' out of the cone look great. I'm glad you both took sensible precautions though. Look forward to seeing your Milky Way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I can not tolerate high heat temperatures that well and I thought the record breaking high 90s we had here in the Denver area this past summer were brutal. I'm sure anything as hot as what you experiences in Amboy woukd do me in, so I apprecuated seeing it through your photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...thanks my friend for showing me all of this rugged beauty. At 114 F there is no way I would be able to see it in person. I LOVE the vintage motel sign!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome skyes. Love the Amboy postcard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Great photos of the sky and crater. So sad people have died there. Take care when you hike.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering, but you finally got to it, and the last photos were good, especially the b&w, but both really. I look forward to the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Awesome photo but know how you tolerate the heat?!(@! ~ Too much for this New
    England dog ~ hugs, ~ looking forward to your sequel !

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    clm ~ A ShutterBug Explores ~
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your photos but I don't understand why you go the hottest place at the hottest time. Wouldn't it be easier in a few months?

    ReplyDelete