Saturday, November 24, 2012

Chambless, CA

We seem to be in a rut (but a good rut)... we get out to the desert every other weekend, and we've been exploring some of the old forgotten towns on Route 66 for the past few trips (check out my Ludlow post). For those of you unfamiliar with Route 66, here's the bottom line:  When the freeways were built, families stopped using Route 66 as a main thoroughfare, and the towns eventually died off. It's an interesting (and sad) piece of Americana, and for whatever reason I'm intrigued by these locations. So today's post:  Chambless, CA. Chambless had a restaurant (The Roadrunner, long ago closed) and a gas station (also long ago closed). Virtually nothing left of the town now other than a few hardy desert dwellers.
Shot full of holes!!
You find some crazy old abandoned vehicles along Route 66!
Route 66 roadside retread. As the sun starts to set, the mountains turn purple.
"Official Garage":  No gas pumped here in many years, but got to love the architecture!
The highlight for me was the Road Runner Retreat Restaurant.  It's fenced off, but much of the fence is conveniently knocked down. I think everyone who passes by this place gets out of their car to take a photo! There was a guy waiting for me to finish up so he could photograph the place! Oh, and got to give credit to John over at Sinbad and I on the Loose for the heads up on this place. Thanks, John!
Linking with 

12 comments:

  1. What beautiful and haunting captures of yesteryear.I can't decide on a favourite..they are all great... and so much clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be able to step back in time and view this place in it's hay day -- you've captured the current ghostly feel very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always find the most interesting places!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great captures, especially liked the B&W ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that sign and had fun searching out others like it on Old Route 66 in Arizona and New Mexico. They're still out there. Great contrast on the garage photo. Gee, I'd be out in the desert every weekend if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat shots of the long forgotten town! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots. I like the variety of ways you processed the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last two shots are my fave. Makes me want to get in the car and GO! You really know how to capture this place. I guess having a heart for it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what adventures you've been on... love that barrel shot through and the 50s era gas station, but the topper is the restaurant! Love it all... Thank you for sharing on Weekly Top Shot #58!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like your passion for rediscovery of a fascinating, but abandoned, era of americana! Great shots and attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I say it all the time...I Love the desert photos. All of them!
    Your photography gives heart to the old places, and that is good.

    ReplyDelete