Thursday, March 21, 2024

A Quick Trip to Morro Bay

 It's been years since I've been to Morro Bay, and I'd forgotten how very beautiful the area is. Unfortunately, it's a bit of a drive... 4 hours one way (that's assuming traffic is cooperating). From where I live, I need to navigate up into LA, and out the other end, which is never easy. If it weren't for that, I think it's a place we would visit often.
Checking into our hotel, this is the view from the lobby (taken through the glass window). What an awesome location! If you're not familiar with Morro Bay, it's located on California's central coast and is famous for this huge geological oddity called Morro Rock. The bay itself is beautiful, as is the coastline to the north and south.
 
 
Dinner at the hotel on our first night. I had totally forgetten it was St. Patrick's Day. I ordered a beer with my fish & chips and was shocked to see a green beverage served with my dinner! Family, a great view on the water, and green beer... doesn't get any better than this! We liked it so much, we ate dinner here again on our second night!
 
Cloud bank and light fog on our first night in Morro Bay.
 
On the morning of our second day, I walked down to the lobby around 7:30AM to grab some coffee and saw this pretty view (cell phone shot). I like how the sun is lighting up Morro Rock, and decided I would bring my big camera down to this spot a little earlier the next day and try to get a photo at the exact moment Morro Rock is first lit up by the sun.
 
Lilly & I rented a kayak. It was something we had never done, and turned out to be easy and fun. I'm sure it helped that the bay was perfectly calm with no waves or current! As we paddeled around in the harbor, I asked her if money were no object and she could choose any boat in the harbor, which one would she want??
Being a huge Taylor Swift fan, the decision was easy!
  
Dog beach (we had our dog with us), and a nice view of Morro Rock looking south.
 
A beautiful sunset on the evening of our second day.


 
I woke up early on the morning of our final day because I wanted to get that photo of Morro Rock at first light. Well, one thing about photography, you can plan all you want, but there are no guarantees!
It was so foggy, I could barely make out the boats in the water right in front of me! What a radical overnight change in the weather! That's OK, I rarely get a chance to take pictures in the fog. I cranked up the ISO on my camera and stated taking pictures.


This otter came cruising by in the fog.

Hope you enjoyed this quick getaway to a really pretty area on California's Coast!
Thanks for stopping by!!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.


37 comments:

  1. So beautiful! Thanks so much! Aloha and hoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS for posting this. We somehow missed Morro Bay, but I love that rock. From a distance it reminds me of the Rock of Gibraltar. CA has such a difference on her coast line. So much like the Med with great sand beaches, plus clifts and rocks. WE LOVE the fog pictures mysterious looking. I know you guys had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very different from your usual desert trips. Looks like a very nice place. All though green beer sounds bit eccentric. I´d prefer dark brown Guinness if I would drink alcohol. Witch I do not do any more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Peter,
    Never heard of Morro Rock and learned it is a volcanic plug and 576 feet high.
    You were lucky upon arrival with clear views and very calm water.
    Oh those darling sea otters—saw them with my Dat at Monterey Sea Acquarium.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful place. So glad you made the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually the fog pictures are delightfully mysterious. How fortunate is Lilly to have such awesome adventurous grandparents to travel with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...what a change of scenery! Morro Bay looks like a fabulous destination and so different than Joshua Tree. I came across a video about The Monument House, near Joshua Tree. Have you seen it? This beach bum sure loves your seascapes, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful post full of surprises. The biggest surprise was the fog. I didn't know you have that in California.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting and beautiful
    I like the fog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! I enjoyed this post so much!!!
    Fog or no fog, you take the most gorgeous pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very different from your beautiful desert photos, but I just love it. I love ocean photos, fog, and sunsets. Fabulous post! The fog comes. on little cat feet. . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a beautiful part of the Pacific Coast for sure -- and your photos even make fog look soft magical (I am not a fan usually, I like to see things clearly!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What an adventure for you and your family ~ Morro Bay is indeed beautiful even in the fog ~ awesome photography ~ thanks for sharing your famly get away ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many gems along the central coast. I have not been to Morro Bay, which is weird as I've visited so many other lovely places in our state. Sorry the fog rolled in on the morning you were planning for that dawn shot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beatiful place for a getaway. That view from the lobby is spectacular.

    And you are so resourceful and resillience. When you couldn't get the photos you planned with the fog you got the photos you could and they were great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is a beautiful spot. Coincidentally, I just was looking at a vintage/antique postcard that was my grandmother's of Morro Rock. Nice photos, even the foggy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the bay photos. Looks like you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a suitable place for a getaway. The fog has its own charm too.
    I would willingly taste the green beer!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never seen Moro Bay looking so good! Of course, I haven't been there for... uh... well, a very long time. By the way, I have no idea why all the lower limbs were missing on that tall tree. Weird, huh....

    ReplyDelete
  20. the last part made me LOL (I can imagine surprise that you had), but hey, you already had some perfect postcard conditions, the fog was additional bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Beautiful scenes. Hope that was enjoying. The fog picture with high ISO looks clean. 550D is grainy even in ISO800

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like those foggy shots. So much atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful place, in sun and fog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've not kayaked on the ocean but that would be my kind of day to do it--no wind, waves or current. I love the ghosty boats in the fog.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a beautiful area. The kayak looks like such fun. I want to try it but hubby has an aversion to anything involving water craft. A cruise ship is too small for him. That is a great get away!

    ReplyDelete
  26. IT takes me tree hours to travel to Wales were we say and like you it can depend on the traffic. I caught the sun on a hillside as it went down last night so thinking along the same lines as you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Truly Amazing place, Great pics.
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was a different kind of beauty from you, but a beauty nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's too bad you missed the first sun on the rock but those fog pictures, I think, more than made up for it. I loved all the pictures with the boats and that rock - which, incidentally, this East Coast person has never heard of. I've only been to California twice (one just to change planes in the San Francisco airport!) and I need to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those sunset and fog pictures are incredible! You lost me at "driving through LA" though.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Absolutely beautiful. It looks like a wonderful place to spend a vacation and relax. I do love the fog photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fantastic place and photos! Thanks for sharing. My absolute favorite is #5 and the fog. I like fog, but it's rare here with us. Wish, I where there!
    Have a nice weekend, we have spring rain and a sky without colors today, but I must ride my bike to the market soon...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Totally enjoyed visiting with you. Awesome photography, with the otter, my favourite. How wonderful to canoe wth your Granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete

  34. Gorgeous scenery! And it's not often one sees photos taken in fog. Good ones! 👌 I drove up the coast from San Diego years ago to visit a friend in Santa Maria, so I'm familiar with that LA traffic mess. Got as far as Avila Beach but sadly, not Morro Bay.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your blog has become a valuable companion in my journey of self-discovery. Share your Aviator gaming experiences on our interactive blog.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a beautiful location! When a photographer is handed fog, make lemonade. Or something.

    As you pointed out, the combination of family, beautiful scenery and green beer is hard to beat.

    All the photographs are great.

    ReplyDelete