Thursday, March 14, 2024

Yucca Man vs. Augmented Reality

 You've never heard of Yucca Man? I'm not surprised. You might say that Yucca Man is to the Mojave Desert what Big Foot is to the Pacific Northwest. Big Foot is much better known, while only desert rats seem to be familiar with Yucca Man. Here's what Microsoft Copilot has to say about Yucca Man:
 
Yucca Man is a myterious creature that allegedly inhabits the Mojave Desert and has been sighted since the 1970s. Here are some intriguing details about this enigmatic being:
 
1. Origins and Sightings:
  • The Yucca Man is described as a hairy creature that roams the desert.
  • Reports of sightings extend as far west as Palmdale and Edwards Air Force Base.
  • Unlike traditional Bigfoot sightings, the Yucca Man is said to be huge, scary, aggressive, fast and threatening.
2. Characteristics
  • The Yucca Man shares similarities with mythical creatures like Bigfoot and Yeti.
  • It is believed to exist in the Mojave Desert, a vast and rugged region in Southern California.
  • Descriptions vary, but it is often portrayed as a large, bipedal beast with glowing red eyes.
3. Possible connections
  • Some speculate that the Yucca Man has ties to Native American legends.
  • It's presence near Edwards Airforce Base adds an intriguing twist to the mystery.
Whether legend or reality, the Yucca Man continues to haunt the desert, leaving curious minds wondering about its existence and origins. 🌵👣

 A friend of mine messaged me with a "photo" of Yucca Man that was generated by Microsoft Copilot. That intrigued me and is the genesis of this post. I didn't know Copilot could generate images, much less an image of something as obscure as Yucca Man. I had to try it out for myself. I prompted Copilot to generate an image of "Yucca Man in a Joshua tree forest with large boulders at sunset" and this is what it came up with.

Pretty creative, don't you think? As a side note, I really enjoyed your comments from last week's post about AI generated images. Personally, I'm worried about what AI will do to photography (and lots of other areas) when it becomes virtually impossible to determine AI from a real photo.
 
Copilot's ability to generage images of Yucca Man got me wondering: Are all AI generators created equal? In other words, do they all generate similar content when using the same prompt words?
I entered the same prompt words into Photoshop ("Yucca Man in a Joshua tree forest with large boulders at sunset") and the above photo was generated. Clearly, the Photoshop AI algorithms have no clue who or what Yucca Man is!!
 
Out in the Mojave Desert, Yucca Man has somewhat of a cult following. You see him from time to time on posters and adds.
 
There's even a Yucca Man craft beer. I'd like to try it if I can find it for sale somewhere, and at 13% alcohol, everyone starts looking like Yucca Man!
 
You might be wondering just what exactly is a Yucca? Well, check out my photos below (100% real photos!). They are sometimes confused with Joshua trees, but Joshua trees are, well, trees! Yuccas are commonly found in the 3-6' size range. Yucca leaves are longer than those on Joshua Trees. Also, on JTrees, as old leaves die, they fall off the plant. On Yuccas, they turn brown but stay attached to the trunk, giving the plant a more wholly appearance.





Quail on a Yucca.
 
Thanks for stopping by and listening to me ramble on about Yucca Man and AI generated photos! Until next time...
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

41 comments:

  1. ...interesting, but I like the real deal best. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tom I prefer the real thing. I don't even touch AI they can keep it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely like the real thing best and I know we both see a lot of odd things when we hike. Yucca man...I'll be on the lookout! heehee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was quite impressive!!
    Dangerous business this AI thing. What will they think next....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking as I was reading your post that your images were probably used to help the various AI generators "learn" what the Mojave desert looks like.
    Yucca Man looks like Sasquatch that we have in Oklahoma.
    I know really well what yucca plants are. In Albuquerque where I used to live, everybody had them in the yards. Some people made fences out of them for security purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Peter,
    No interest in all the AI.
    Don't waste my precious time on any of that.
    Love the Quail on a Yucca photo.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  7. There seems to be mysterious beasts in all kinds of environments - the first I've heard of Yucca Man although the illustrations look like Big Foot

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had never heard of Yucca Man so this was most enlightening. We are starting to use Copilot at work for different things but haven't created any images as far as I know. It's just beginning to make the rounds at the office. However, one of the photo editing tools I use has been using AI for a while now. It's mostly for portraits and to make people look more glamorous and give them interesting backgrounds. However, it has been interesting to see the different changes that can be made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great! Another reason to worry about you! You must have known about this long sense. AI is very promising and yes, very concerning. Thanks for this interesting post. Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesante historia, nunca sentí hablar de Yucca, pero ya nada me asombraría .
    Un placer leerte
    Abrazos y besos para ti y tu linda familia

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know much about AI but I like your real time photos every time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had never heard of Yucca Man. Thank you for sharing. That eighth photo is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had never heard of Yucca Man, and I've lived in SoCal all my life. Sheltered, I am. I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first AI generated Yucca man is pretty impressive. Oddly enough, Yucca plants grow in my neck of the woods, too, in a completely non-desert environment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I dread about AI so much. Even though the AI generated image seems exotic, I like those illumination amidst clouds captured by you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just tried it. It made a picture that followed my request, but everything was perfect. Illustration perfect, not art perfect. Every AI picture I see is like that. I believe it may eventually be a useful artist's tool, but only with a great deal of practice. You can't put genie back in the bottle. It's not going away. Love your real pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yucca man - hehe! Yucca plants I see often here around in the gardens, but not big as a tree. That beer I would taste too...
    KI can be a nice game for pictures, but if it generates messages and people can no longer differentiate - wars could break out because of it!
    On my old desktop with win8 copilot isn't working, but I have'nt missed it yet.
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am equally afraid of what AI will do to photography...
    I do prefer to see the quail on the yucca! 😄

    ReplyDelete
  19. For us hobbyists, it's fun to play around with AI every now and then. But there are dark sides to it that will still bother us, I fear.
    You had fun playing with it again. And you nicely show that it is not surprising that confusion can occur at dusk between the Yucca Man, the yukka plant and the Joshua tree. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. AI is fun, but I agree that it is a bit alarming. So far I have only used it to slightly add to or somewhat alter my own images, and like you, I have said what I have done. It was nice to read about Yucca Man and even better to see your yucca, but not yucky, photos. I especially like the penultimate image.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great desert shots again. Let Ai just stay a bit behind.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing AI, Great clicks.
    Loved the post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have only used AI once, and that was not to generate art. I'm concerned that we are developing it without slowing down enough to learn about its good and bad parts. For certain it's going to change our lives. I liked the first image although it was interesting that it dressed Yucca Man in Indigenous looking garb. I did like each of your photos. When I lived in Wichita, Kansas people used cultivated yucca for landscaping. It had a beautiful white flower spike in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  24. no sorry I've never heard of him but I did enjoy seeing your pictures, I can see why people believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another mythical creature to fascinate ~ great post and hope you don't run into the Yucca Man. at Joshua Tree ~ thanks,

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fun! I had not heard of Yucca Man. We do have yucca here, rarely more than a couple feet tall.

    ReplyDelete
  27. VERY GOOD entry. Also I definitely learned something, I have never heard of Yucca Man, it made me smile.. YES, when one can see the real thing, they realize real nature must be seen to really be amazed at this entire Creation. I know I see formations and in your shots and WONDER, just how that that come about. The best to you and yours.,( Keep that camera ready and get the real thing should he happen by..).

    ReplyDelete
  28. Some beautiful photos and a great story about Yucca man.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, die Aufnahmen sind wirklich fantastisch, einfach wundervoll. LG Romy

    ReplyDelete
  30. So I'm not the only one to have fun with image creators, while at the same time being fully aware of the risks of generative AI (be it text or images) being misused.
    I've never heard of Yucca Man before. but potted Yuccas are a relatively common sight in German households - even my partner has one.
    With Yucca trees in the desert, I can imagine that, in a certain state of mind and certain lighting people think they see a mysterious creature in them.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The f1rst 1 is ab fab. Lovely Shot!

    ReplyDelete
  32. More terrific photographs of desert landscapes. This time with Yuccas. Superb.
    I was trying to tell Gini about Yucca Man but she was busy in the kitchen and thought I was saying "Yucky Man". Of course, she immediately had comments about living with one, etc.

    Thank you for the desert photo fix!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I had never heard of Yucca Man before. There certainly are a wide variety of images of him from a Sasquatch-type look to Skeletor. Personally, I like the first one the best. Would you believe that we have wild Yucca on our property here in South Dakota? Perhaps Yucca Man lives in the hills around here as well!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Never heard of him, but I can see how the yucca can look a bit human. Same I suppose for saguaro with the "arms." I use Copilot occasionally, and wish it would quit switching over when I search! Maybe I'm moving the cursor too close to its option. It has helped me. I had no idea it could do AI images.

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's been a while (way too long) since we spent time in the Mohave desert and JT -- I'm very familiar with yucca plants and know the difference between them and Joshua trees, but I have *never* heard of Yucca Man. Wait - did he just show up within the last decade? ... Here in Florida we have the Swamp Ape and of course at home in the PNW Big Foot. It would be interesting to see what AI does with them.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I had not heard of Yucca Man.. will never be forgetting him now. Thanks for the scary cool images.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love the 1970´s style Yucca Man! That´s what I hoped for, a friendly creature.
    13% alcohol for a beer?!
    With Yucca I always thought of a palm. Either way, beautiful (real) shots!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Interesting and frightening at the same time! I'm nervous about AI in general and hope it doesn't get out of hand. What a creativity killer that would be, if everyone doctored their photos and wrote their articles with it! Your real photos, on the other hand, are truly spectacular! 😍 Although, that first Microsoft image of Yucca Man looks pretty cool, and it does have a Native American vibe.

    ReplyDelete