Thursday, March 28, 2024

North of Lost Palms Oasis

 This is a hike I underestimated, and that can be a dangerous thing to do. On Google Earth, the area looked interesting, with some huge rock formations that called to me. I carefully mapped out my route and transferred it to my phone. I figured 4-5 hours should be plenty of time to explore the area, which turned out to be a significant underestimate. Join me as I explore the challenging terrain north of the Lost Palm Oasis trail.
I started at Cottonwood Spring where I picked up the Lost Palms Oasis trailhead. The oasis here is full of palms and cottonwoods. A very pretty oasis in the desert, and one of only a handful in the entire park!
 
Not surprisingly, Native Americans were here first. This mortar is at the beginning of the trail and is one of the deepest I've seen in the park. They say the deeper the mortar, the more it was used and the older it is.
 
Following the Lost Palms Oasis trail made for easy hiking at the start. The low elevation here means no Joshua trees, but the ocotillo cactus are an added bonus!
 
I veered off trail a few times to check out rock formations. This looks like the remains of a fire ring.

Giant cracks, as if something hatched out of this rock. Yucca Man, perhaps??!!
 
Once I left the trail and started exploring the rocks to the north, this is the type of terrain I was up against. Beautiful but challenging, and I woud often hit dead ends and have to double back. It made for slow going.
 
Can you spot that tiny little piece of the Salton Sea at the top of the photo? I was surprised to be able to see it from here. It's about 20-25 miles away.
 
 
 
Big nose!
 
Tiki head in profile!
 
So many interesting rocks to explore!
 
 
B&W version. Interesting textures and shadows.
 
Another Salton Sea view.
 
 
I did this hike back in December, and I took this photo at 4:12PM, with the sun starting to set behind the high boulders. If memory serves, sunset was about 4:45PM. To get to the places I had marked on my route would take at least another hour, probably longer. I vividly recall the feeling of urgency to leave. Head back now. I would be very lucky to make it back to the trail before sunset, and I did NOT want to be hiking back in these steep, rocky hills in the dark!
 
I was worried I wouldn't have time to get back to the trail before dark if I followed my route back the way I came. I needed a straight line "short cut" back to the trail. The problem is, with these huge rock formations and steep-sided washes, a straight line is impossible to follow. A "short cut" also increases the risk of getting turned around or lost. I decided to take a modified straight line approach and just do the best I could.
Hmm... Straight line through here? Nope, one of many detours.
 
What a huge sigh of relief when I finally stumbled upon the trail! Elation! This must be why people like to push and challenge themselves... for this feeling you get when you successfully finish the challenge. It was after sunset, but just enough ambient light to make my way. At this point, I stopped, drank some water, and put my headlamp on for the remaining couple of miles (on trail) I needed to hike to get back to the car.
 
Back where I started... Cottonwood Wash, with the big Cottonwood tree in the wash! 8.5 miles, but it felt like at least twice that distance. With a surprising amount of elevation gain (820'). Next time, I'll be careful not to underestimate the hike!
 
Thanks for stopping by and joining me on this adventure!
Linking with Skywatch Friday.

37 comments:

  1. ...the rock formations are spectacular, the lush landscape, not so much! Thanks for showing me the sights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Peter,
    It must almost be addictive to set out and discover but the unknown is a tricky part.
    You once again managed to make it out in time and by not getting lost!
    One only wonders what those first Native Americans sought in this area and how they survived.
    Great photos as always.
    Hugs and wishing you a meaningful Holy Week and Happy Easter!
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it's a challenge to guesstimate times just via Google Earth. Glad you were able to make it back to a trail before dark. I'm sure you'd have more time now since the days are longer (although, I'm sure things'll heat up out there soon).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how you guess how long it takes, but I think a lot of the desert can be underestimated. Great photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you managed it and took some superb photos to boot, some of the rock formations are outstanding

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You gave your self quite the challenge ~ glad you did so well ~ Amazing rock formations ~ the Tiki God was unique for sure ~ great photos and good to hear you made it back with your headlight helping you find the way back with no problems ~ Thanks for sharing the amazing experience and photos ~

    Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a brave soul to set out like you did. That trail must have been such a relief to discover when you did. I could almost feel it. Amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely amazing! Such raw beauty. Glad you made it back to the trail with a little light to spare.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The palms look either fossilised or covered by dusts. The rock formations are so unique too. Always fantastic views through your lens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This seems to me to be one of the most inhospitable places you can find in that region.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, this is different somehow from the terrain you usually show us. Certainly exciting. Better to overestimate the time and risk my friend! Glad you got out to share these pictures with all of us. I really enjoy your photos and narrative very much and have for a long time. Wishing you aloha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful place, Rocks amazing, great clicks, informative post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's always a pleasure to see one of your posts--- This one was a very involving one. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pictures. The textures have come out nice. Glad that you found trail back. I also remember a hike deep inside rainforests where we lost trail for a while. We made it finally though amidst king cobras

    ReplyDelete
  15. You took some great photos and saw some sights on your hike.
    I have been caught before in areas I am not familiar with and attempt to do a straight line or modified straight line route to intercept a trail. Sometimes it works and sometimes it is a complete failure and took lots longer than if I just retraced my steps.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice rock formations you´ve found for you and us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rough terrain, indeed! I admire your stamina. ☺ The photos are spectacular, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so adventurous, and this looked like such a rugged landscape and not quite as photogenic as some of your peregrinations. What an accomplishment, though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. so incredibly beautiful
    Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hold my breath a little when you go out on one of your solitary hikes, although it's obvious you made it back. You captured some really neat rock formations this time around. The views of the Salton Sea made me think back to 1996 and, how, on a flight from the East Coast to San Diego, the plane we were on flew over the Salton Sea. So thank you for that memory today.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those incredible rock formations would draw me too. Once again--what an adventure and you made it back! 25 miles away, looks more like two miles, the Salton Sea glimpses.

    ReplyDelete
  22. With a big bang the Yucca Man as a little baby came out of a rock...it could be the begin of a fairytale. How good, that you managed the hike without meeting him as an adult -
    Again spectacular photos, the last are my favorites.
    Happy Easter to you and yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good to hear you were able to find the trail again and get back to your car. Those rock formations are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so glad you made it back to the trail before darkness descended. Beautiful photos of your hike as always. It looks difficult to make progress through all the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing formations, and I love how the palms have crowded together in one little herd.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another interesting hike in the desert. I can't believe you could get glimpses of the Salton Sea from that far away. You captured some very crazy rock formations. I loved them all.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, what a place that is. I wish I could see it. Also the header photo on the blog is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Outstanding photographs. An amazing variety of rock formations.

    Planning and preparation are important but we can be fooled from time to time. Happy you made it without too much discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Amazing rock formations. It looks like you got back just in time to take some amazing photos at dusk!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My arthritic feet would have died at mile 4. You captured it all like you were as fresh as a cactus flower. Glad you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amiga, espectacular caminata, no se si podría hacerlo, las imágenes son increíbles, me encanto.
    Abrazos y besos

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nature's sculpturing is totally stunning! Glad you made it back safely, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Woah - beautiful, but I read faster and faster - despite knowing you obviously made it in time!

    ReplyDelete
  34. My husband is always keen on finding shortcuts wherever we go, woodlands or anywhere, but his ideas are not always brilliant! 🤔
    Amazing rocks and rock textures. Love the big nose.

    ReplyDelete